No lamb, no garden, no immaculate conception but there IS something about me.

4.27.2012

Am I crazy? Don't answer that.

I'm sick. And I'm not happy about it.

I haven't been sick in at least a year. I attribute it to running all the time and getting an annual flu shot. Oh, and eating pretty healthy. Seriously. But I could feel this coming on since Tuesday and tried to fight it, unsuccessfully. I was exhausted all week and instead of getting up early every morning to run I just laid in bed until the last possible minute before I had to get up. Last night I started feeling really miserable and it hit me like a Mack truck this morning. I drove 4 hours home instead of actually doing any work today (I was in overtime anyway) and I'm worried that I'm not going to have it in me to run the race I wanted to do tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm writing about it because I have no one else to whine to. So you're welcome.

I had two major things that happened today. Things that blew my mind and I therefore expect them to blow yours.

1) I realized that I actually like the treadmill. I know, I'm shocked too! I've spent so long hating them but it's because I kept putting them in the mindset of distance running but I really needed to just pigeon hole it into speedwork and kicking the snot out of myself for 3 hard miles vs working on 5 or 6 easy miles. When I haven't been on a treadmill for a few days I start to itch for a good hard run that makes me sweat like a beast and lay on the floor of my hotel room gasping for air once I manage to make my way back there. This is epiphany is making me think that I might need to join a gym and not rely on the 2-3 days a week I'm at a hotel. Pure crazy talk.

Even crazier?

2) I am seriously thinking about doing a marathon. I don't want to. I haven't changed my mind about that. But I might need to for reasons that I will go into at some other point if I do it. And if I do it will be a purely selfless act (because I don't WANT to do it) and I will need to raise about $4000-$5000 in order to do it. It's something that presented itself to me today so I'm kind of kicking it around my mind right now but I am giving it some decent consideration. And because of it I am 100% positive my badass Marine cousin Todd who runs marathons barefoot is sitting somewhere in the Philippines chewing nails while sitting on broken glass and cheering that he may get me over to the dark side yet.

I wouldn't count your chickens just yet though, buddy.


Last weekend I ran a race in Maine that my company sponsored and it was easily one of the most fun races I have ever done. I ran with SO many people I knew and there were so many people cheering us on that it was like a huge race made out of my family. For an inaugural race it was really well organized and the 5k route was mapped out so that part of it went through the woods on a trail which was fun. To be honest I didn't really want to make the 12 hour round trip drive just to run 3.1 miles but my friend convinced me to since she was coming from St. Louis and it would be her first race. So I gave it and I'm glad I did because it was AWESOME and hanging out with my coworkers slash friends slash family for a whole weekend was exactly what I needed. I miss those crazy Mainahs already.

So does the honey badger even though usually he don't care.
In the last month I've messed around with what I've been eating a lot and settled on no carb/no refined sugar except for carbs on Thursdays and Fridays. As a result I've lost 3lb which would typically discourage me but it's not. My body is on to me from the first weight loss round when I lost a Bertha's worth of chub so it's hanging on for dear life and I'm ok with it coming off slowly because it's not going to win. No flippin way. Plus to be fair the amount of calories I consumed in Maine were enough to gain a pound or two and I've been sick all week and not exercising more than my remote finger so it's ok. Plus I lost an inch in a few places so it's coming from where it matters! And I will win.

And I fit in my blazer again! Yahtzee!! Although let's be honest, I'm not wearing that baby buttoned for any extended period of time. Like ever.


I guess I can't have a post without a bun update. Last weekend I ordered her a toy called an Einstein toy from a seller on Etsy that makes bunny toys. It has little wooden pieces that she has to lift up to find treats under to keep her occupied. I haven't tried it with her yet but it (and the other toy I ordered her) came in a box stuff with hay instead of packing material and it was like her Christmas, Birthday and Bunday all rolled into one. She burrowed in that box for at least 45 minutes and kept popping up to stand on her hind legs and then dive back down under the hay. As a matter of fact she's back in there right now. It's the simple things, I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment